Paws Off!

 Paws Off!

The common household items that are toxic to pets

Words by Sheila Chau 

Illustration by Dasha Lebedev

Man’s best friend. Fur babies. Members of the family. You’d be hard-pressed to find people who don't obsess over their pets these days—and for good reason! Our furry friends provide constant love and companionship through life’s ups and downs. They’re always looking out for us, but are we looking out for them?

Your home might be full of things that are toxic to your pets. Several common household items are not-so-friendly to our friendliest members of the family. But don’t worry—we’re here to share the things you should be extra cautious of so that you can take care of your pets as well as they take care of you.

  • Chocolate: It contains theobromine and caffeine—small amounts may cause diarrhea or vomiting, and large amounts can cause seizures or internal bleeding.
  • The Golden Pothos: It contains insoluble calcium oxalates, which are glass-like crystals that can cause burning and oral pain when consumed.
  • Antifreeze: It takes just a teaspoon of antifreeze to be deadly to a cat, and a tablespoon to be deadly to a small dog. 
  • Avocados: Avocados contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs and other pets. 
  • The Snake Plant: Ingesting the snake plant can cause nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting in cats and dogs.
  • Mothballs: Mothballs contain camphor and naphthalene, which can make a dog develop seizures and can damage red blood cells.
  • Garlic: Garlic is a gastrointestinal irritant, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea—without proper medical intervention, it can sometimes become deadly.
  • Saga Palm: The Saga Palm can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even liver failure when ingested, so keep these plants away from your precious pups.