The rise of the all-day cafe
Words by Ashley Locke
Because of the pandemic, more people have begun working remotely than ever before—and for many, that change is here to stay. While remote work provides a lot of flexibility, not everyone enjoys working from home. Some lack space for a home office while others miss the camaraderie they had in a traditional office setting. Enter the all-day cafe.
All-day cafes have been on the rise for several years now, and they seem to be only growing in popularity. The coffee shop-meets-restaurant combination provides the perfect place to bring your laptop and linger—probably with better food and drink than you’d find at home. Not only is it not unusual to find someone hanging out through breakfast, lunch, and dinner—it’s encouraged!
So, pull up a chair and stay awhile.
The Essential - Birmingham, AL
- A slice of Paris in the Magic City. The made-from-scratch pastries are a must-try.
Cafe Roze - Nashville, TN
- Expect fresh food and cool cocktails at this East Nashville neighborhood favorite.
Elvie's - Jackson, MS
- Inspired by New Orleans, Elvie’s serves seasonal fare from Southern farmers.
Millers All Day - Charleston, SC
- Here, the best days both start and end with breakfast and a cocktail.
Marigold Coffee & Wine Bar - Lynchburg, VA
- Good coffee, good food, and good downtown views.
Magnolia Cafe - Austin, TX
- This family-owned spot has been serving customers since 1979.
Happy Day Cafe - Pontotoc, MS
- The cafe takes care of the local community with their monthly tip-jar-for-a-cause.
Highland Coffees - Baton Rouge, LA
- Snack on something delicious and get some work done at this quiet, cozy spot.
The Root Cafe - Little Rock, AR
- A cafe with a mission—building community through local food.
Muchacho - Atlanta, GA
- Bring the good cafe vibes home with one of their killer Spotify playlists.
All Day Darling Cafe - Asheville, NC
- Bring the little ones to this family-friendly cafe in the Montford neighborhood.
the flamingo - Jacksonville, FL
- They claim to serve the best coffee, beer, & wine on planet earth—we’ll let you decide!
Kirchhoff's Deli - Paducah, KY
- Walk in and enjoy the smell of fresh baked bread—check the daily special.